Whitney and Til discuss the descending modulation of pain in manual therapy.
In this episode,
- What is descending modulation?
- What are the implications?
- How do we use it?
Join two of the leading educators in manual therapy, bodywork, and massage therapy, as they delve into the most intriguing issues, questions, research, and client conditions that hands-on practitioners face. Stimulate your thinking with imaginative conversations, tips, and interviews related to the somatic arts and sciences. With Whitney Lowe and Til Luchau.
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Olson, Mark. “Descending Modulation: Why Massage Therapy Can Alleviate Pain.” Blog. Massage And Fitness Magazine, October 24, 2019. https://www.massagefitnessmag.com/massage/descending-modulation-why-massage-therapy-alleviates-pain.
- Vigotsky, Andrew D., and Ryan P. Bruhns. “Corrigendum to ‘The Role of Descending Modulation in Manual Therapy and Its Analgesic Implications: A Narrative Review.’” Pain Research and Treatment 2017 (2017): 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1535473.
- ———. “The Role of Descending Modulation in Manual Therapy and Its Analgesic Implications: A Narrative Review.” Pain Research and Treatment 2015 (2015): 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/292805.
- Books of Discovery: save 15% by entering "thinking" at checkout on booksofdiscovery.com.
- ABMP: save $24 on new membership at abmp.com/thinking.
- Handspring Publishing: save 20% by entering “TTP” at checkout at handspringpublishing.com.
(The Thinking Practitioner Podcast is intended for professional practitioners of manual and movement therapies: bodywork, massage therapy, structural integration, chiropractic, myofascial and myotherapy, orthopedic, sports massage, physical therapy, osteopathy, yoga, strength and conditioning, and similar professions. It is not medical or treatment advice.)