Whitney and Til discuss the controversies, disagreements, considerations, and their own views on the infamous psoas muscle in manual therapy and massage. Download the handout with detailed episode notes, techniques and tests, and a special chapter from Til’s book from http://a-t.tv/ttp-psoas/
Episode topics include:
- Psoas: Holy Grail muscle, or wholly irrelevant?
- Psoas and back pain, leg length, etc.;
- Safety considerations;
- What Til and Whitney actually do (and don’t do) in practice.
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Free Episode Handout with extras
- Book: Yoga Biomechanics (Mitchell 2018)
- Blog: ‘Psoas, So What’ (Ingraham 2015)
- Study: Psoas and lumbar disability (Wagner et al 2018)
- Video: Whitney Lowe demonstrates a modified Thomas test
- Video: Til Luchau demonstrates a hands-on psoas technique
- Whitney Lowe’s site: AcademyOfClinicalMassage.com
- Til Luchau’s site: Advanced-Trainings.com
Episode image copyright Primal Pictures, used by permission
- Books of Discovery: save 15% by entering "thinking" at checkout on booksofdiscovery.com.
- ABMP: save $24 on new membership at abmp.com/thinking.
- Handspring Publishing: save 20% by entering “TTP” at checkout at handspringpublishing.com.
(The Thinking Practitioner Podcast is intended for professional practitioners of manual and movement therapies: bodywork, massage therapy, structural integration, chiropractic, myofascial and myotherapy, orthopedic, sports massage, physical therapy, osteopathy, yoga, strength and conditioning, and similar professions. It is not medical or treatment advice.)